How to transfer data from Windows to Mac? This is a question of all the Windows users who shifted to the Mac. As we all know data that is on your laptop is very important for everyone. No one wants to lose their data whenever he changed his laptop.
If you want to transfer your data within the same operating system as you want to transfer data from windows to windows or from Mac to Mac then there is not a difficult task. But transferring data from one operating system to another operating system is a tricky task that everyone does not know.
In this article, we will discuss how you can transfer all of your data from a Windows PC to Mac safely. We will discuss the 3 best ways of transferring data from windows to Mac. You can try anyone among them that you think is the best fit for you.
If you shifted from Windows to Mac it does not mean that you have to lose the data which you gathered and create for a long time, you can shift the whole data that is in your Windows laptop to your new MacBook.
If you are not able to transfer apps and system settings due to the difference in the operating system you can move the whole data virtually.
Here are the best ways that you can use to transfer data from windows to mac:
1. Using Windows Migration Assistant
2. Using LAN Cable
3. Using an External Hard Drive
Except for these methods, there are also other ways for moving data from windows to MacBook i.e using Google Drive, One Drive, etc.
These processes can take more time and effort than the migration assistant, but we can transfer data through these methods as well.
Transfer Data From Windows To Mac Using Migration Assistant:
Now let’s discuss how to transfer data from Windows to MacBook using migration assistant which is very easy to set up and you can move your whole data without any problem in just a few clicks.
Apple has a built-in migration assistant in their MacBook which is a pretty cool feature for their users who just shifted from windows to mac and want to transfer their whole data on mac without losing them.
The migration assistant comes with all newer versions of Mac OS X, starting with Mac OS X Lion (2011). The tool can be used to transfer system settings, user data, and applications from the old Mac to the new one.
The awesome feature of this is that it is compatible with windows based computers and able to move data from windows to a mac. Migration assistant allows us to transfer our contacts, calendars, email accounts, and more from our PC to the appropriate places on Mac.
You have to connect with the same WiFi network in order to work with the migration assistant, Or you have to connect an Ethernet cable in the ports of both mac and pc for establishing a direct network connection.
Migration assistant runs only on Windows 7 or the above versions.
Make sure that the driver does not have any issue with your windows pc.
Now let’s begin the process of moving data from windows to MacBook using migration assistant:
- On the Windows PC click on the start menu and type “cmd” command prompt will show to you, open it.
- In the command prompt type “chkdsk” and then press enter.
If the check disk detects a disk problem, you should check the Windows startup disk, specifically type “chkdsk drive:/C” and press Return. The utility until return no problems you need to repeat the process or you have to service your computer.
Windows Migration Process Steps:
- On the Windows PC, you have to download and install the windows migration assistant but it’s already installed on the mac.
- Make sure all the other applications are closed and then run the windows migration assistant.
- When you open the migration assistant a window will pop up, press the continue button to proceed.
Apart from windows, you have to perform a few steps on mac as well to copy the data.
Mac Migration Process Steps:
- Open the migration assistant on the mac, which is already installed in the system, you can find the migration assistant in the “Utility folder”.
- Once you open it, then under the “How do you want to transfer your information” select “From a windows pc”.
- Mac will show you a security check and ask you to enter the administrator password, press “Continue” to proceed.
- A list of available machines will appear, select the Windows PC. After selecting a migration, Windows will display a password on the screen that will be presented at the same time to another computer that you selected.
- It might take some time for the passcode to show on the computer, once it’s presented on the windows pc, click “Continue” on both windows and mac to proceed further.
- Mac scans all available drivers on your PC to gather the transferred information. Select the photos, bookmarks, contacts, information, and other non-system data files you want to transfer and click Continue. You can view the data that can be transferred.
- Now you have to wait for a few moments to transfer the whole data, you can see the remaining time on both windows and mac.
When the migration process is finished, simply close the migration assistant on your computer, In the mac when you log in to your new user account you will be asked to set a password. Set a strong password and also make sure to authorize the Mac in iTunes.
As Migration Assistant covers a wide range of systems and Operating Systems. Like Windows 7 and above, Mac OS 10.7 Lion and above.
If your computer isn’t compatible there are other options available for you to migrate your data from Windows to a Mac such as using one drive or google drive and using an external hard drive.
Above we have discussed how you can transfer data from Windows PC to Mac using Migration Assistant, but some people want to transfer their data without migration assistant.
Below we have discussed some ways you can use to transfer data from to Mac without using migration assistant.
Transfer Data from Windows PC To MAC Using A LAN Cable:
- In order to transfer files from windows to mac using a LAN cable first, you have to plug it into the PC and the other side into the Mac.
- Then you have to go to the bottom right corner and click on the network settings.
- Click on change adapter options then click on details.
- Now, you have to highlight the Autoconfiguration ipv4 number.
- Make a folder anywhere on your computer and give it a name.
- Then right-click on it and click on give access to specific people clicking your name and then click done.
- Now on the Mac in finder click on “go connect to server” and in the server, the address field enter “SMB:// 169.257.197.11” the ipv4 number from the PC then click connect and then log in with your PC password then click on the shared folder that you made and now this folder is now shared between the two computers.
- You can make a folder saying hello PC and on the PC it’ll be there on the PC you can also make a folder that will appear on the Mac and there it is.
- Now you can transfer any file you want from your Mac into the folder and then you wait for it to transfer and there it is it will appear on the PC.
Here is the quick video:
Transfer Data From Windows To Mac Using External Hard Drive:
You can transfer data from Windows to Mac without losing any of the information on your computer or smartphone. You can use an external hard drive to transfer the files easily and quickly.
Follow these steps to transfer data:
Step 1: Backup your data in Windows:
Before transferring data from Windows to Mac, you should back up all your important files and folders. You can use Windows built-in backup feature to do so.
Step 2: Connect your External Hard Drive to Mac:
Connect the external hard drive to your Mac via USB cable. Some external hard drives come with a separate power cable while some use the USB port for the power supply so make sure you have connected both the USB and power cables before proceeding further.
Step 3: Open Disk Utility on your Mac:
Once connected, open Disk Utility on your Mac and then click on the name of your external hard drive under the left sidebar list.
This will show all information related to that particular external hard drive including its capacity, model name, serial number, etc. If you want, you can also change its name here or format it if required by clicking on Erase tab and then selecting Mac OS Extended (Journaled) option from the Format drop-down menu.
Step 4: Choose Time Machine Backup Device:
Click on the Use as Backup Disk button located at the bottom left corner of the Disk Utility window and select the “Back Up Using Time Machine” option from the pop-up menu.
Transferring data from one device to another is a common occurrence. If you are switching from one device to another, then you may need to transfer your data from one device to another. This process can be quite tedious if you do not know how to go about it.
Bottom Line of Transfering Data from Windows To Mac:
Apart from the above three mentioned methods, you can also transfer your data from Windows to Mac using Google Drive and One Drive, but these methods are not recommended because it takes much time and effort to transfer the whole data if your data is large.
In this article, we have discussed the best and easiest way for transferring your data from Windows to Mac using migration assistant, an external hard drive, and LAN Cable.
Now, it’s up to you which one you are going to use. We hope that after reading the article you will be able to successfully transfer data from Windows to Mac.