Why is my laptop battery drain so fast? This is a question that is asked by many laptop users when they use their laptops for both entertainment and work purposes.
Draining a laptop battery so fast is a problem that can happen due to several reasons that we will discuss in this article and also will discuss the best ways to fix this problem so you can use your laptop for a long time.
Some laptop users also face laptop battery draining so fast problems even when their laptop is new and when it shuts off.
So, if you are also a person who is facing the laptop battery drains so fast while playing games, in sleep mode, or even when your laptop is switched off then stop worrying anymore about this problem.
We know very well no one wants to plug in the laptop charger all the time while using it that’s why we are going to fix your battery draining so fast problem in this article, so you can use your laptop for a long time without charging it often.
Also, we will discuss the 5 best ways to fix the laptop battery drain so fast problem that will help you a lot.
Read More: How To Charge Laptop Battery For Long Life?
8 Major Reasons Why Your Laptop Battery Drains So Fast:
There could be many reasons behind draining the laptop battery so fast a few common reasons could be that your laptop or its battery is old and over time its performance dropped.
If your laptop battery is old and it is draining so fast then this is the major reason behind it because a laptop battery is not considered to last for more than 3 to 4 years depending on the type of the battery.
So, if your laptop battery is 3 to 4 years old and you facing the laptop battery drain quickly problem then it’s time to change your laptop battery, get a new one and your problem will solve.
But apart from this problem, there could be many other reasons behind draining the laptop battery very fast problem which are listed below:
- Too many heavy applications and processors are running all the time in the background when you use your laptop on battery.
- Too many external devices like a mouse, keyboard, fan, Bluetooth device, headphones, USB, etc are connected to your laptop.
- You are using the laptop at the maximum brightness which is a major reason for drawing the laptop battery very fast.
- Maybe you made a change in your system by mistake that can cause fast drainage of the laptop battery.
- You are using too many online connections or networks on your laptop.
- The firmware on your laptop may get corrupted and result in a power failure.
- Faulty drivers, inserted disc drives and improper power settings can cause fast drainage of laptop battery.
- Your laptop keyboard backlight is on all the time when you are using your laptop.
These are the 8 major reasons that can cause laptop battery drain so fast when you are using your laptop for playing games, watching movies, or doing work.
Now, definitely after knowing the reasons why your laptop battery drains so fast now, you want to fix these problems so that your laptop battery last longer and you can use it without charging it very often.
So, let’s discuss the 8 ways that you can use to fix your laptop battery draining very fast problem. If you follow these ways we can guarantee you that you can easily increase the life of your laptop battery.
Note: Keep in mind some low-quality laptop batteries are supposed to not work longer than 1 or 2 hours, if you are using a low-quality laptop battery in your laptop then you have to change it in order to fix this problem. And apart from that, some low-quality laptop batteries are not powerful enough and they work for only 1 to 2 hours. So, in this case, you can’t do anything because the laptop’s original battery is not capable for using a long time.
The 8 fixes that we are going to discuss for solving the problem of laptop battery drain fast is for the solution of those reasons that we have discussed above.
So, let’s start discussing the 8 fixes of how you can prevent your laptop battery from draining so fast one by one.
1: Close All Unnecessary Programs & Apps:
The first major reason why your laptop battery drains so fast is that there are many applications and programs that are running in the background which are heavy and consume much power.
You have to close all these unnecessary apps and programs if you want to fix this problem. In order to close all unnecessary programs and apps, you have to perform these steps.
- Go to the windows search bar and enter “Task Manager” and open it, you can open it by pressing Esc, Ctrl, and Shift keys together as well.
- You will see a processes tab in the left top corner, click on it and then find all the unnecessary apps that are heavy in size and running in the background.
- Select all of them and click on the “End Task” to close them.
This way you can prevent your laptop battery from draining so fast. Now, let’s move on to the 2nd way of fixing your laptop battery that drains fast.
2: Disconnect All Unnecessary External Devices:
When you connect an external device to your laptop for some reasons like headphone, Bluetooth, USB drive, etc and after you have done your work you don’t remove them and these external devices stay plugged in which cause laptop battery drainage.
These external devices need power in order to work properly and they consume power from the laptop battery. You have to remove all the unnecessary external devices from your laptop if you want to use the laptop battery for a long time.
External devices that are connected to your laptop can cause fast laptop battery drainage. So, you have to remove them.
3: Adjust The Brightness Of Your Screen:
High brightness is also a major reason that causes the draining of the laptop battery very fast.
If you are using your laptop at the maximum brightness then you have to adjust your screen brightness and keep it lower if you want to use the laptop battery for a long time.
Also, the high brightness of your laptop screen can harm your eyes so, it’s better for you to use your laptop at a normal brightness level.
In order to decrease the brightness level of your laptop screen, you have to follow these 3 steps.
- Press the “win + i” keys together for opening the “Settings” of your laptop.
- When you open the settings the “Display” tab will be automatically opened and in the right panel you will see an option of “changing screen brightness”. Click on it.
- Adjust the screen brightness to the lowest level if you want to use the laptop battery for a long time.
4: Change The Power Settings:
Sometimes your laptop battery drains so fast due to the change in power settings. You have to follow these guidelines in order to adjust the power setting of your laptop.
- Open the settings app on your laptop by pressing the “win + i” keys.
- Select the “power & sleep” option and adjust the settings for power and sleep when your laptop is turned on or in hibernated or sleep mode.
- You can also check the additional power settings >> create a power plan to optimize or create a power plan on your computer.
5: Reduced The No Of Network Connections:
In some cases, too many network connections on your laptop can cause a laptop battery to drain so fast problem. So, you have to fix no the network connections for increasing the battery life of your laptop.
- In order to fix the no of network connections you have to follow these 2 steps:
- Open the “Setting App” on your laptop and select the “Network & Internet” option and further click on the “Change adapter option” to see the number of active connections.
- Simply, right-click on the unnecessary one and click on the disable or disconnect option to close it.
6: Turn Off The Keyboard Backlight:
Turning off the keyboard backlight can also help you increase the battery life of your laptop.
Although, the backlight of the keyboard not drained much battery power as compared to others but still if you turn it off when you don’t need it you can increase the battery life a little bit.
The backlight of the keyboard needs only when you have to work in dark places, if you are working in bright areas or in a room where you turned on the light then it’s better for you to turn off the backlight of the keyboard.
In order to turn off the backlight of the keyboard, you have to press F5 along with the Fn key on an HP laptop. In other laptops, you can turn off the backlight by pressing the F10 key along with the Fn key.
The keys might varies depending on the brand of the laptop and also the model, you have to check all the Fn keys and see which one works for you.
7: Eject Useless Inserted Disc Drive:
Some laptop users reported that CD/DVD drive that they inserted in their laptop also cause the laptop battery to drain so fast. You have to eject the inserted disc drive from your laptop in order to increase the battery life.
You can easily remove inserted disc drive from your laptop by using these 2 ways.
- Press the disc drive button which might be on the left or right side of your laptop depending on your laptop. A disc drive will come out a little bit you have to pull it and then remove the disc from the drive and then push it back to close it.
- You can also eject the disc drive from your laptop by pressing the “win + e” together to open the “File Explorer” and then you have to select the “This PC” option and right click on the disc icon option and select the “Eject” option. The drive will come out and you can easily remove the inserted disc.
8: Replace Your Laptop Battery:
If you try out all the above methods and still your laptop battery is draining fast then the only way that is left behind is you have to replace your laptop battery.
Over time when you use your laptop battery, its performance dropped and that’s why it starts draining so fast. Laptop battery average life is around 3 to 4 years depending on how you use it.
After that timestamp, it will start draining very fast. So, if your battery is 3 to 4 years old then you can fix this problem by simply replacing your old battery.
Final Thoughts On Why My Laptop Battery Drains So Fast:
There could be several reasons why your laptop battery drains so fast. In this article, we have discussed the 8 major reasons why your laptop battery drained so fast in different circumstances.
The major reason is that your laptop battery gets old and its performance dropped.
Apart from that reason, there are many other reasons that can cause fast battery drainage that we have discussed in this article.
Also, we have discussed the 8 best ways that you can use to fix this problem.
If you follow all the methods to fix this problem we can guarantee you that you can easily prevent your laptop battery from draining so fast.