Nowadays laptops have become the essential need of almost every person. Nobody can spend his day without using a laptop, no matter whether they are using the laptop for studying purposes, for doing office work or for watching movies, or playing games on their laptop.
Everyone needs a laptop to spend their day, but what happens if the laptop battery dies and you don’t have a charger for your laptop? In this situation, how you can charge your laptop?
These questions might come into your mind, Can I charge the laptop with phone charger? Is it safe if you charge a laptop with your phone charger? Apart from these two questions, there might be other questions that come into your mind in that situation when you don’t have the charger of your laptop to charge it.
You don’t have to worry about it anymore if you don’t have the laptop charger available. There are too many ways to charge your laptop without its original charger.
In this article, we will discuss how you charge your laptop with phone charger. Also, we will discuss some precautions that you should take while charging your laptop with a phone charger, and also some pros & cons of charging a laptop with the phone charger.
So, we recommend you read the full article, so that you can’t miss any information related to charging a laptop with a phone charger.
Can You Charge Your Laptop With Phone Charger?:
The answer to this question is not straightforward, because different laptops and phones have different power requirements. Usually, a modern laptop requires a charger of at least 40-45 watts of output power, but most phone chargers provide only 10-20 watts of output power.
So, in this situation using a phone charger to charge your laptop might damage your laptop and you might see that your laptop charges very slowly because it does not get enough power supply in order to charge.
But it does not mean that you cannot charge your laptop with the phone charger. There are some cases where it may be possible for you to charge your laptop with the phone charger.
For example, if you have an older tablet or smartphone that has a high-power USB port then there are chances that you could potentially use them to charge your laptop.
You can use your phone charger to charge your laptop but there is a number of threats to do this. You can’t just plug in your phone charger and start charging your laptop charger. You have to check the type of charger that you are going to use and also your laptop charging requirements.
Is the charger that you are going to use for charging your laptop best suitable for charging it or not? Keep in mind if you use a low voltage charger in a laptop that requires a high voltage charger then the chances are high that you might damage your laptop.
To avoid any kind of damage first you need to know the different types of phone chargers.
Different Types Of Phone Chargers:
As we all know that all phone chargers are not the same. The plug of every phone is different. An iPhone charger will not be able to charge the android mobile and vice versa. It’s because their plugs don’t fit into the ports of the opposite mobile phone.
This is the thing that you should consider before charging your laptop with a phone charger. The plug of your phone charger must be compatible with your laptop port.
This will be a USB port in most cases. Most laptops have USB ports that allow them to work on multiple devices.
However, not all USB ports are the same. They have different purposes and are not interchangeable, so the types of USB ports available on your laptop are important for whether you can charge this laptop with a phone charger. Let us explain each type in detail.
Type- A Port:
The first type of port is called Type A. It was developed by the USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF) in 1998 as a standard for plugging peripheral devices into computers or printers. The most common type of peripheral device that has this type of connector is a mouse or keyboard.
The second type of port is called Type B, which was also developed by the USB-IF in 1998 as a standard for connecting keyboards, mouses, printers, and other peripherals to computers and printers via an interface cable.
The USB Type-C port is a new type of connector that can be found on most newer smartphones and laptops. The connector has been in development for several years and has become a standard for the next generation of devices, including laptops and even desktops.
The USB Type-C port is becoming increasingly popular because it offers many advantages over the traditional USB Type-A ports. For example, it is reversible, which means it can be inserted in either direction something that was impossible with past types of connectors. It also has a more compact design, which makes it more compatible with various devices and makes charging more efficient.
The USB Type-C port is backward compatible with older USB protocols, but only if they’re powered by an external adapter (like a USB 3.0 cable). If you want to use your phone with an older device (like an older laptop), you’ll need to use an adapter to allow for this functionality.
In addition to being reversible, the USB Type-C port also supports DisplayPort functionality without having to install any additional drivers or software something that isn’t possible with other types of ports like the Micro-USB or Lightning port used on iOS devices.
The Type-C port can be found on newer laptops and smartphones for charging, data transfer, and display output. The port can also be used to connect peripherals such as mice, keyboards, and external storage devices.
But here in this article, we will discuss how you can charge your laptop with a USB Type-C port. If you have a USB Type-C port available on your laptop you can simply use a USB Type-C cable to charge your laptop.
But the problem is that some laptops don’t have a USB Type-C port available to them, they have only a Type-A port. If your laptop has the Type-C port available you can easily charge your laptop with a Type-C cable.
How To Charge Laptop With Phone Phone Charger?:
Here are the few steps that you have to perform in order to charge your laptop with the phone charger:
1. Take the charger from your phone and place it in a place where it can easily be found.
2. Plug one end of the charger into your laptop and the other into a wall socket or power strip.
3. Switch on your laptop and wait for it to charge up completely before you disconnect the charger (it will take time).
Precautions Before Charging Laptop With Phone Charger:
There are some precautions that you should take before charging your laptop with the phone charger in order to save your laptop from any damage. They are mentioned below:
1. First, you have to check what type of power your phone charger is provide. Is the power that your phone charger provides compatible with the power that your laptop needs to charge?. Also, you should check the voltage of the charger and compare it with the voltage of your laptop power port.
2. Secondly, you should test the phone charger on a spare battery or an old device before you charge your laptop with it. This will help you identify any possible issues in advance so that you can take corrective action if necessary.
By taking care of these precautions you will be able to charge your laptop safely with your phone charger without damaging it.
Pros & Cons of Charging Laptop With Phone Charger:
Using a phone charger to charge your laptop is a good alternative for you if you don’t have a laptop charger available. But there are some pros and cons if you use a phone charger to charge your laptop.
Let’s discuss these pros & cons:
- It is convenient to use the charger. You do not need to plug in an additional power adapter to your computer. You can just plug the charger into the USB port of your laptop or desktop PC.
- It is portable. The charger is small, so you can take it when you travel. You can charge your laptop while you are on the road or at home.
- It is easy to use the charger. The design of the charger is simple and easy to use, so it doesn’t require any additional skills to operate.
- You don’t have to worry about connecting an actual charger to your computer.
- You can use any device that you have with you at the time (even if it’s not a computer).
- If you’re traveling, then this method might be more convenient for you than using an actual wall outlet or USB port.
The disadvantages of charging a laptop with a phone charger are:
- The USB ports on your laptop can only handle a certain amount of power, and if you charge your laptop through a phone charger, you may run into the problem of overheating. This can damage the port and cause it to become unusable for charging.
- Phone chargers do not provide enough power to charge laptops, which means that you will have to wait longer for your device to recharge. If you charge your laptop with a phone charger and then use it later, it will take longer than usual to get back up to speed.
- Charging through a phone charger is not as safe as using an official charging dock or wall adapter because there are no voltage checks built into the process which can potentially lead to overcharging or damage if not used properly.
- The phone charger may be damaged and not work properly.
- The battery of the laptop may be damaged, which causes it to slow down and stop working properly.
- The laptop will have a short circuit and burn out if you use a phone charger while charging your device.
Bottom Line Of How To Charge Laptop With Phone Charger:
After reading this in-depth article on how to charge a laptop by using the phone charger we hope that you will be able to charge your laptop with your phone charger.
We have discussed the precautions that you should take before charging a laptop with a phone charger, also we have discussed some pros and cons of charging a laptop with a phone charger.
The one thing that you must make sure of is that you have to use only that charger that is compatible with your laptop and will not damage your laptop.
Using a 10-20 watts charger in order to charge your laptop that requires at least 40-45 watts of voltage power is not recommended. So, it is recommended that always use a phone charger that is compatible with your laptop.