If you are a window user you frequently face the problem of fans and lights staying on after shut down the laptop or computer. This is a common problem in windows laptops.
Even if you shut down your laptop properly by going into the start option and pressing the shut down button or you just press the power button in order to shut down your laptop you have seen the problem of fans and lights staying on after you shut down your laptop completely.
There might be many reasons behind this problem, but we will discuss every problem in detail and also discuss the solution to that particular problem so that you can fix this problem easily and don’t ever face this problem again.
The same problem of fans and lights staying on after shut down I face a few days ago when I take my laptop to a repair shop for some kind of hardware issue when the serviceman solve my hardware issue and I come home and use my laptop for few hours and shut down it by going to power option and pressing the shut down option I saw some of the internal parts of my laptop like fan and lights stays on.
I was a bit confused about why this happens, then I start searching on the internet about how to solve this problem and after a few hours of research I got the solution and now I think I should share this problem and its solution with others as well because I am not the only person who face the fan and lights stays on the problem in the laptop after shutting down, there are many other people who are searching for this so I should help them as well.
In this article, we will discuss different ways of solving the problem of fans and lights staying on after shut down the laptop completely. But before we jump on to the solution to the problem let us give you a short intro about laptop fans and their purpose in the laptop.
What Is Laptop Fan & Its Purpose?
A laptop or computer fan is a fan that is placed inside, its main purpose is to cool down our laptop when it overheats due to running heavy programs like Photoshop, Solidworks, Android Studio, AutoCad, etc, or playing games on a laptop or computer.
In most laptops and computers, there is a built-in cooling fan that cools down the laptop and prevents it from overheating. Some built-in fans are very powerful but in some low-quality laptops cooling fans are not powerful enough to cool down.
Heat is the biggest enemy of electronic gadgets like laptops, mobiles, etc. In this case, we can use the laptop cooling pads or cooling stands which are really worth cooling down the laptop when it overheats. So, try to keep cool down your laptop to avoid any big problems.
So, let’s move on to the next part of this article, which is “how to solve fans and lights stays on after shut down windows 10 problem”.
Fix 1>> Switch Of The Fast Start-Up To Solve Problem:
Fans and lights staying on after shut down problems can happen when you switch on the fast start-up from your laptop settings. In most cases, this problem occurs due to the fast start-up which is switched on.
In our case as well, when we fix this issue from the windows settings and shut down our laptop again by pressing the shut down option we saw our problem solved, fans and lights off when the laptop is off.
So, let’s discuss how you can switch off the fast start-up from the windows settings. You have to perform a few steps in order to solve your problem. Just follow these steps and you will be able to fix the fan and lights staying on the problem after the shutdown.
Let’s follow the steps in order to close the fast start-up from the windows settings:
1. In the search bar of windows enter “power and sleep”.
2. You will see the power & sleep option on your screen, simply click on it and it will be open.
3. In the power & sleep window click on the “additional power settings”, see the attached image.
4. Click on the “Choose what the power buttons do” option it will be on the left side of the window.
5. At the top of the window, click “Change settings that are currently unavailable”. Power option system settings.
6. Then check if the option of “turn on fast start-up(recommended)” is available at the bottom of the screen.
7. If the option is available then simply uncheck this option.
8. Click on the “Save Changes” button.
9. After saving the changes just shut down your laptop by going to the power option and pressing down the shut down option.
10. You will see fans and lights will be off when you shut down your laptop.
Congratulations, your problem is solved now.
Note: If you want to enable the fast start-up in the future, simply follow all the above steps and check the “turn on fast start-up” option.
In most cases, fans and lights stay on after shutting down the laptop problem will be solved when we switch off the fast start-up option from the windows settings. But what if this method does not work for you, there are other methods as well that you can try to solve your problem.
Fix 2 >> Shutdown Your PC Using Command Promot:
We firmly believe that after following the above method your problem will be solved but if your problem is not solved and the fan and lights stay on after shutting down you can try this method.
In this method you have to shut down your laptop by using the command prompt, this command will force your computer to shut down completely. To shut down your laptop by using a command you have to follow the below-mentioned steps:
1. In the windows search bar type “cmd”.
2. Open “run as administrator” by right-clicking on the command prompt.
3. The command prompt will be open and you have to type this command.
4. When you type this command, press “enter” and it will shut down the laptop completely.
Check if the fan and lights are off completely. Hopefully, this method will completely shut down your computer and your problem will be solved. But if this method does not work for you there are also other options you can try.
Fix 3 >> Disable Hibernation From Windows Settings:
Many users solve this problem by disabling the hibernation mode from their system. In order to disable hibernation from the windows settings you have to follow these steps:
1. Open the command prompt in your system.
2. You can open the command prompt by pressing the “cmd” in the search bar and then simply clicking on the command prompt option.
3. Once the command prompt opens you have to type this command “powercgf -h off” and hit enter.
By typing this command your hibernation mode will off, then you have to shut down your laptop again and check if your problem solve.
In most cases, the fan and lights stay on the problem will solve by disabling the hibernation mode.
Fix 4 >> Enable Hibernation In Your System:
Sometimes enabling the hibernation can fix your problem of fan and light staying on in windows 10. To enable the hibernation you have to follow the above (fix 3) steps and you have to change the command a little bit.
Instead of typing “powercgf -h off” this command on the command prompt you have to type this command “powercgf -h on” and hit enter.
After this, shut down your laptop and check whether the problem is solved or not.
Fix 5 >> Update Or Rollback The IMEI:
Sometimes the problem is solved by updating or rollback the Management Engine Interface Driver (IMEI). To update it you have to perform a few steps:
1. Press the “win + x” together.
2. A window on the left side will be open, click on the “device manager”.
3. Then simply click on the “system devices”.
4. Then right-click on the “Intel management engine interface” and then click on the “Properties”.
5. Click on the “update drivers” option to update the drivers.
6. Click on the “Rollback driver” if the driver has received an update recently.
After doing this, just restart your computer and surely your problem will solve.
Bottom Line Of Fans & lights Stay On After Shutting Down Windows 10:
After reading this detailed article, we hope that you will be able to solve your fan and lights stay on problem in windows 10. We have discussed the 5 best ways to solve your problem. In most cases, trying out the first method which is to turn off the fast start-up solves your problem, and even in our case switching off the fast start-up solves our problem.
But if your problem is not solved by trying out the first method you can simply try the other 4 methods as well and can check which one method works for you. We are sure that by trying out the above 5 mentioned methods you can easily solve your problem. But if you still face any issues you can reach out to us by using the contact us page or by simply commenting down, we will be happy to solve your problem.